Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Fatigue Is Not A Fruit Of the Spirit!

Thanks to my sister for the title of today's post!

Fatigue, not to be confused with tired.  Fatigue is this life-sucking rain cloud that hovers over our lives and leaves us with nothing to give; spiritually, emotionally, mentally, and physically! Sleeplessness can lead to fatigue. But so can overcommitment, sin, and a lack of good, clear, boundaries. Fatigue is a symptom that our life is out of balance. We like to excuse away fatigue by saying, "I have no choice!" But we DO have a choice. We can try and do it all, but we will not be able to do it all well.  This looks VERY different for all of us.  Some of us were made with the ability to juggle and juggle well. Others of us get paralyzed by too many "things". I was explaining to someone that I know when things in my life are out of balance when the nucleus of my life begins to become unsettled.  That nucleus is my relationship with my God, my relationship with my husband, my relationship with my kids, and my relationship with my family.   And if I am in tune with these relationships I will spot the warning signs and dump the "extras" in my life until all is settled.  But when I am not in tune, sometimes I have to be kicked on my butt before I wake up and see the damage I have caused.  Since about February God has been trying to get my attention.  I became VERY ill in February (I don't think God struck me ill, I believe I was susceptible to illness b/c I was living in fatigue), due to fatigue I contracted a dangerous bacterial infection that probably would have killed me 100 years ago. I was on my back for five straight days. 3 hospital visits, 5 life saving antibiotics, and 4 weeks later I was beginning to recover. That was the beginning. Since February, I have been on a journey I never wish to walk through again, but I wouldn't change for anything. It wasn't until about a month ago that I believe I came full circle and realized the bondage I was living in because I was trusting in my oppression (Isaiah 30:12) and not on the rescuing heart of My God (Isaiah 61:1). I had caused A LOT of damage while I walked the path of denial, selfishness, and fatigue.  Fatigue eliminates true life. John 10:10 tells us this, "The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy; I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly!"

This last month I feel like I am rediscovering that abundant life, and it is truly a time of celebration in my heart.  There is NOTHING more satisfying than the true life that our Savior has to offer. And unfortunately, fatigue can cloud and even destroy what He has for us.  I pray that we will all experience the abundant life and avoid ALL the things which hinder it's fullness.

Here is to living,
~s
Literature Plug: Sidetracked In The Wilderness by Michael Wells

1 comment:

  1. sweet friend, thank you so very much for sharing this! i rejoice with you for freedom from bondage! you are an encouragement and inspiration beyond words. love you!

    ReplyDelete