Saturday, May 7, 2011

mothers are for celebrating!

may is a month specifically arranged for celebrating my mom and mark's mom. obviously, we celebrate mother's day tomorrow, which also happens to be my mom's birthday, and mark's mom's birthday is at the end of this month. so, may could be better known as mom's month around our house. i think it's just perfect and VERY appropriate.

God saw fit before laying the foundation of the world to give me and mark to these two women. one woman would be the blood mother.. the mother that carried, birthed, and raised us. the other mother would join the ranks later in life, but for a VERY specific reason. when i watch my mom interact with mark, talk about mark, or ask about mark, it is as if she is asking about her own flesh and blood. mark has, and will always have, a really special relationship with my mom. he can get my mom to laugh at the drop of a hat, and the two of them can be down right silly together.

when i joined the Larry and Jere' Littlejohn family, that's exactly what i was made to believe i was, FAMILY! when jere' speaks to me or speaks about me, i feel like i am hers! i know that i am deeply loved and cherished. consequently, i am overwhelmed by the blessing that my mother-in-law is to me. she has taught me, guided me, and supported me through some really tough and beautiful moments in my life.

if you remember from anderson's birth story both of our moms were present for his birth, and it was SUCH a tangible example of the way our moms have deliberately chosen to treat one another.  they have walked very gently in forming their own relationship with one another. neither one jousting for position or competitive rank in our lives. rather, they are more like two amazingly strong cheerleaders, pray warriors, and friends, encouraging our family along the way.

it truly is the best of both worlds when you not only receive the blessing from your childhood mama, but you get a double dose from your mama by law :)

so, not only today, tomorrow, or at the end of this month....but ALWAYS, we celebrate and rejoice in the awesome gift that God has given us in our moms... both of them :)!!!

happy mother's day!
~s




















1 comment:

  1. Well written! I'm so glad that Kevin's family welcomed me with open arms from the very beginning. There's never been any competition between each side for our (or our children's) affection either. I know some women who seem to hold their children "back" from their in-laws for no apparent reason, but lavish them on their side of the family. I pray that my children will find the spouse that God has chosen just for them and that both sides will be cheerleaders for them as well. You are surely blessed!

    ReplyDelete