Friday, August 19, 2011

end of week one in public school...

friday report:

ephesians 4:32
"be kind to one another, tender-hearted, forgiving each other, just as God in Christ also has forgiven you."

i love after school debriefing. katie rattles on and on. i eat up every word. 

today she says, "mom, remember that girl i told you about earlier this week who was unkind to me on the play ground?"



thinking: um, how could i forget? "yes, baby, i remember." 



"well," katie says, " i think i caught her on a bad day." 



"what makes you think that?" i said.



"well today i went and found her on the play ground and tried again to speak to her. this time she said 'hi katie' and she was really nice to me."



me: picking my jaw up off the floor... tried to hide my tears b/c i KNOW katie is sick of seeing me cry this week... and i got out, "wow baby, i am so proud of you for entering back into a situation that caused you pain just days ago and trying again. you didn't have to do that, but you chose kindness over pain, and i could not be more proud of your heart and your tenderness. you chose forgiveness over bitterness and anger... i don't care if you flunk out of school ( i really do), you have succeeded in life skills that MANY adults (including your mother) have not conquered!"



she shrugged her shoulders and said, "i know." and then she grabbed her after school snack, told me she missed me oodles today, and went to find her siblings...

*sigh*

it's amazing raising a child that you deeply and utterly respect at the age of 8.  it's amazing raising a child that is FAR BRAVER, FAR more full of love and forgiveness than even your own soul could muster up. what a blessing to be your Mama, Katie Littlejohn!!

happy weekend,
~s

4 comments:

  1. aaahh... this made me cry. i love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the faith n heart of that child. :) LOVE LOVE LOVE! Made ma bawl...lol...but Love it....and her...and her faithful parents!! :) OX
    PS...I'm still avail to kick some a$$ if the need arises again! ;) j/k (sorta)!! OX

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you don't stop making me cry... well let's be serious, I am gonna KEEP reading. Geez Louise. you guys are doing an AWESOME job teaching Katie. Love you guys!

    ReplyDelete