Monday, October 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Daddy!

today my is my dad's birthday.

it is indeed a great day to celebrate a really, really, AMAZING DAD!

over the weekend, the church i grew up in celebrated it's 50th birthday. my dad has been apart of westbrooke since 1987, that's 25 years. for half of the church's history, in some way, shape, or form, my dad (and mom) have been apart of the life story. i think that's really, really, special.

yesterday, my dad was to give a brief synopses of his time at the church. brief has not always been dad's strong point, but brief he was ;) although, i have to tell it was not the words that he spoke that moved me to tears....  it was this incredible moment, when after my dad was introduced by the senior pastor, that the whole church stood to their feet in the sweetest applause you ever heard. it took me so off guard that i could not stand, i just sat and wept and wept and wept. i think for me, their applause and standing ovation was everything i could not say. their cheers for him (and sweet Mama) went beyond, "thank you for 25 years of loving, serving, leading, guiding, and shepherding this congregation.  but it was as if their hands were saying, "thank you, thank you, RIGHT NOW for what you are doing by being a living example of Jesus to your wife, and to a whole world that is watching!" their applause for my humble, humble dad communicated exactly what i wanted to say of him today.

daddy, the two very hands that you held from the moment i entered this world, clap in appreciation of who are you. i stand in testimony that the man who preached behind the pulpit is the man that lived in our home. that you practiced what you preached even when the whole world was not watching.

i feel as if i won the "father lottery" when God placed me in my father's care.

i am so proud of my dad.
i am so overwhelmed when i watch how people have been effected by the very life he has lived and continues to live.

i want to wish him a sweet, sweet, birthday!! full of all the greatest things that this day has to offer; time with Mama, time with family and friends, and of course some delicious food!

i love you, daddy!
~ your nupa











1 comment:

  1. OH I wish I had known about the 50yr celebration. I would have loved to be there. I have been blessed to know your parents for 37 yrs now. I actually meet them 37 yrs ago today, on Clint's birthday. the day before the twins turned 1.

    ReplyDelete