Thursday, February 3, 2011

The Problem With Phonics!

Julia was having fun spelling all of our names on the Magna Doodle as we spent an hour driving all over King George, running errands.... I just died laughing when she showed me AJ's name.  Then she died laughing when I told her the correct pronunciation of his name. She kept over emphasizing the short "o" in son. We had a great time. 

https://www.t-mobilepictures.com/myalbum/photos/photo20/36/b5/419e0f305534__1296682358000.jpeg

Two random comments that pertain to this post. 
1. Magna Doodles are AMAZING. Katie and Julia have both learned their letters and numbers via the doodle. If you have to drive 30 miles to the nearest Wal-Mart then car time is the perfect place to review letters and numbers.

2. Also, I try avoiding lined paper until at least the first grade. I like giving the kids the opportunity to free style their letters until their motor skills have completely developed. Sometimes I think the lines are nothing but frustrating. If they kind of learn the general strokes, and get the letters to look like the letters, then we can manage with the lines when we get there. They feel such a HUGE accomplishment when the letters actually look like the letters.  That's just me. Lots of people disagree with me. But that's nothing new. Personally, I think hand writing is just one of those filler subjects. A disturbing hangover from the 19th century. Don't hear what I am not saying, I think my children's handwriting should be readable. I think they should be able to write and write well.. But I REFUSE to spend endless hours correcting O's and K's with a red pen on lined paper. GAG-OH-LISH-OUS! I remember crying all the way through first grade b/c my handwriting assignments would come back with red all over the page, and the kids with beautiful handwriting had their work hung up for parent-teacher conferences. I was humiliated and totally overwhelmed. So, I just gave up all together. Obviously, I have some emotional issues with handwriting. I probably should see a therapist about it. Until then, the success of a Littlejohn child will not be measured by their handwriting skills :) Ah, I feel better.

Here is to a chicken scratch kind of day!
~s

2 comments:

  1. I agree, Sarah. We do some practice with lines, but when it comes to application of writing, I let it slide and view is as "creative writing"--literally! We like dry erase for writing--seems like we have an abundance of those markers lying around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL...spoke like a TRUE Hall! ;) I think only Z got that handwriting thing down! ;) hehehehe....love you!

    ReplyDelete