Sunday, December 19, 2010

peel the crayons, mix the paint, and eat the playdough...

people ask us all the time... "how do you do it?"  typically, they are referring to parenting our stair stepped (7,5,3, and almost 2 year old) children.

and my answer is pretty easy; peel the crayons, mix the paint, and eat the play dough. some of you are already going OCD on me and are trying to clean up the little crayon wrappers via the cyberspace world.. ;) hear me out. for me, there are too many processes, routines, and choices for me to daily oversee, to allow myself to get lost or overwhelmed with things that are icing on the cake.  each process, routine, and  decision removes just a little bit of energy from me all day long. so over my whopping 7 1/2 (ish) years of parenting i have learned to invest my energy in those specific instances that are most important to me. for me; peeling crayons, mixing paint, and eating play dough are very low on my list. if they sold crayons without paper i would SO buy them. today during church i found myself peeling the crayons for julia... when the kids pull out the play dough i go in the other room until they are done, and then we clean it all up together... otherwise, i sit there and pick up the play dough behind them and sweep 15 times before they are done playing ;)  also, clothes. when i ask my 3 girls to go get dressed for the day that's what i mean. so if my kids wear crazy, unique, colorful, outfits that don't match i am not inclined to make them change. again, for me, it's not a battle i am willing to invest emotional or physical energy. i know there are things that are important to me that aren't important to other mothers. we have talked before how i am a sleep nazi. everyone is in their bed 12 hours at night and 90 minutes during the day. therefore, b/c i am so serious about this issue, i have invested LOTS of hours of training, battling, and energy. it's worth it to me. for others it's not an issue for them... and i respect that.

the bottom line? minor in the minor's, major on the major's.

my mom did a SUPER job at this! and i am convinced her very relaxed personality enabled our home to be a safe, warm, and comfortable place for not only family, but for anyone!

be encouraged. we are ALL different. we all have different gifts, personalities, preferences, birth orders, etc...  in the midst of all the differences and preferences don't miss out on your kids, and don't miss out on all the other mom's that are different than you! some of my dearest, bestest friends don't let their kids peel the crayons, mix the paint, or eat play dough... that's why they come to aunt sara's!

happy investing!
~s

No comments:

Post a Comment