Monday, December 20, 2010

Merry Christmas from the Halls!!

“I’m dreaming tonight of a place I love, even more than I usually do….”


Greetings from the Halls!

Forgive us for taking a “season” or two off from Christmas letter writing.   Life surely has a way of catching you off guard, especially when it’s time to sit and write the annual letter.  However, WE ARE BACK!   This year, I, (Zach) have the distinct honor of being Mom’s “ghost writer.”  I was the lucky one to receive the message of “you need to write the letter!!!”   Hopefully, everyone heard my mother’s voice in that quote, because it was just as you heard.   I tell myself that Mom picked me because I construct words the best in the family, but I won’t say that… well maybe just to Andrew.

 We have a lot to cover, so hang on…we’re going oldest to youngest because it always feels right to me, and I have that power now in writing the letter. :)

Jonathan.  My word for Johnny is …FAITHFUL.   Jonathan is living and working in Overland Park, KS.    He is still faithfully working for the Blue Valley School District, and man do they have a jewel in my brother.   I have never seen anyone work more diligently and make a hallway floor shine like that.  He is very active at Westbrooke Church, and faithfully helps Mom and Dad around the house these days. We siblings are so thankful for our brother who is at home carefully “watching over the flocks by night.” He continues to teach us what the heart of Jesus really looks like with his unconditional love towards each of us, and his attitude to help and serve everyone he comes in touch with.   





Joanna.  My word for her is TOWER.   Joanna and Matt Regier are continuing to live in Lenexa, KS.  Megan, now 4, is growing up quickly as she started Preschool this fall and loves it!   Give her a call and she will tell you ALL about it, and perhaps a story or two about an adventure she and Dora took recently.  It’s a trip….literally.   Lizzie, now 2, is quickly getting everything she could ask for from her uncles’ and aunts’, due to that awesome curly blonde hair.   With the cuddly curious attitude she contains, she will melt your heart when you see her.   She’s a gift to us all.   Matt, with many less curls and hair in general,  continues to work for a newer local software engineer company in the Johnson County area.  As a great Father, and devoted husband,  Matt is a rock to that strong TOWER I told you about earlier.    Oh, the little Jo Jo.   A tower of strength; a tower of heart; a tower of hope and a tower of steadfastness.   Joanna is staying at home, growing and corralling the girls full time.   She is also helping and volunteering with the MOPS program at her church, and coordinating multiple events there.   I’m impressed with how active she and the girls stay.   I constantly say…”you’re where?” when we talk on the phone.   They find themselves at the zoo, at the local art fair, at the indoor gym, swimming, pumpkin patch; Target, etc…  I know for a fact that she is talking to Sara half of this time as well.   What would they have done before unlimited calling plans?   Joanna never ceases in strength.  She always knows what to do and she is always there when she is needed most.   She is the TOWER and pillar of strength that the Lord has brought her up to be, and she just makes everything ok.  Way to go oldest sister, type A-ish, nurse, and this family’s stronghold.


 
Andrew.  My word for Andrew is BALANCE.  Andrew and Liisa are living in Beverly, Massachusetts, just north of Boston. Liisa, number two of the dear outlaws, is probably the smartest of all us combined times 2.    Liisa makes me want to be cooler.  You know that feeling when you say, “man, how does she do that?”   That’s what I love about her.   She genuinely cares about you, and how you are doing.   Liisa and Andrew own a Chiropractic practice in their area happily named Hall Family Chiropractic(www.hallfamilychiropractic.com).   They love their patients, and serve several hundreds of them weekly.  Andrew has always done things well.  He continues to love his wife well, and be an amazing Doctor of Chiropractic, and BALANCE the rest of us out.   When things seem dark, and when frenzy is the only action being taken, Andrew leads. I sure love my very own Mr. Clean. 



My word for myself is BEST- CHILD… wait I mean MOTION.   I moved to Southern California in late 2008 to work for Forest Home Camp and Conference Center.   After 2 wonderful years there, learning from the best, and continuing to build my resume’ in Christian Camping, this October I returned to my “roots.”   Hitting the road once again for French Camp Academy, and Camp of the Rising Son in French Camp, Mississippi.   I work there as the Guest Services Coordinator for the Academy itself, and as the Assistant Camp Director for the camp in the summer. French Camp Academy is a Christ centered school home for youth who cannot stay at home for some reason or another, and it’s goal is to restore the student’s childhood by providing a safe Godly environment.   I love this place.   It’s been such a blessing the past few years to work full time in ministry for the Lord, in the field in which I truly love.  




My word for Sara is MULTIPLY.  Mark and Sara Littlejohn are currently living in King George, Virginia, just south of Washington D.C.   Mark has been working for U.S. Department of Defense, as a civilian mechanical engineer since the Spring of 2008.  Mark, the third of the outlaws, is the original.   Mark lights every room he enters, and has never met a stranger.   I am always amazed at how he balances my sister,  parenting, and can be so much darn fun.  We love our Mark.   He and Sara are flanked by Katie, 7; Julia, 5; Lucy, 3; and Anderson, almost 2.   I call that a gaggle.    Katie is smarter than all of us, like Liisa, and her favorite color is pink.   Julia could hurt me physically and compassionately nurse me back to health in less than 5 minutes.   Her favorite color is more of an off-pink.    Lucy makes me laugh out loud with her astute awareness of right and wrong.   On a recent visit I was scolded with “Uncle Zachie, that is very rude….you should not say that.”   You’re right Lucy.  Her favorite color is both black and white, but not gray. J   Anderson.  Poor , poor, only boy Anderson.   This kid rocks.  He is so fun and really cares about food, his mama, and playing.   He is truly a gift from the Lord to all of us and of course BLUE is his color, until his sisters decide differently for him.    Sara’s word as I said is MULTIPLY.  She has not only done very well in multiplying children, but she makes everything much more valuable.  Sara is also at home full time with the kids, however, she gets to add “teacher” to her resume’ as she home schools Katie and Jules.   Sara not only teaches multiples, but makes multiples of friends, meals, gifts, blog entries, calls to each of us,  piano lessons, Wal-Mart runs, VBS songs, laundry loads, trips to see family…etc…    Sara loves in bunches.   She’s quick with the text message to brighten your day, and an email to keep you up to date on the kids and Mark.   She multiplies the Joy of the Lord around her, so that you cannot but help feel and be a part of who she is, and the King she serves.   Her “product” is invaluable.   *I need big props for getting my math terms correct and appropriately used*



If we had a family pet, we would insert them here.   However Mom and Dad shipped Ebby the cat off years ago, and we’re still bitter.   Ebby, we love you and miss your arrogance.   R.I.P. wherever you are.

Now the big dogs… Now the grand masters…  Now the Kahunas...  good ole’ Clint and Valerie.





My word for the two of them is ADVENTURE.  

Firstly, we want to thank everyone for your love and support for what has been a long few years around this household.   Your outreach and servant hood is so greatly appreciated, noticed, and much needed.   Yes, we acknowledge that Mom has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s, and a plethora of other things.   We acknowledge that this is not fun, and it is hard for our parents and our family.   We know that we don’t know what the Lord holds for us in the future as we enter and move through this particular storm….but this we do know:   The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases, his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, says my soul, therefore I will hope in him.” Lamentations 3:22-24

An Adventure we’re on these days, but one that we’re promised will end well.   Amen?

Dad stepped down as Senior Pastor of Westbrooke Church this past June. He moved into a position of Director of Pastoral Care which has allowed him to spend a lot more time at home and also shepherding the people he has spent so much time with.     What a beautiful display of gratitude the church showed my parents for their years of service.   It truly was a sweet time for my parents to close a chapter in their lives in which the Lord has allowed them to serve so faithfully.  

Now don’t you worry, the C & V have P L E N T Y to do to keep them busy.   They typically start their mornings at the local Panera with their peer group of friends,  where Clint is a local celebrity.   Mom is still busy diligently making sure we all are doing what we’re supposed to be doing.   Big surprise, eh?  Between telling us to come home to visit, and keeping up with the grandchildren gaggle, that woman doesn’t miss a step.  

I could write endlessly about the parents.   But you know them.  You know what and who they are, or you wouldn’t be receiving this letter.   They are the best people I know, and true reflections of the Jesus they love.   My parents are the people who are always in motion.  They are the balanced, faithful tower of God’s  love that multiplies everywhere they go.   

This Christmas, the Halls miss and love you.     

During this season we hope that you are reminded to take hold of the sure promise that our God is good, all the time, even when it’s bad, and even when its good…God is good!

Merry Christmas.

All our love,
Clint, Val, Jonathan, Joanna and Matt, Megan, Lizzy, Andrew and Liisa, Zach, Sara and Mark, Katie, Julia, Lucy and Anderson






2 comments:

  1. okay, so now i'm crying!! thank you so much for posting this, sara! i just love your family! all of them! miss you bunches!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto, ditto, ditto the above...I love your family! I miss you...not sure I would rather sit on your couch and laugh at the constant movement of your house or sit at Panera for a long cup of coffee...

    ReplyDelete