Wednesday, January 25, 2012

the interrupted life

this week i am feeling extremely A.D.D.  i can not for the life of me complete a task. for instance, clean half the kitchen, fold part of basket of laundry, put on a day shirt and still have PJ pants on for the whole day, forgetting to close the washing machine lid or hit start on the dryer, put on some makeup but not all of it.. the list goes on and on. i was getting really concerned. evaluating things; "what's wrong with me? am i pregnant? (I AM NOT, BTW) have i lost my focus, my drive? do i need to re-read the purpose driven life? do i need to increase my vitamin b? am i getting lazy? are these the beginning signs of alzheimer's? ( this is suppose to be a joke! ;)

but then it dawned on me this morning. for the last 8 1/2 years i have been doing things in five minute increments.
for example:
five minutes in the shower until i hear a large thud and run from the shower partially dressed to find a child or children is some type of crisis.
five minutes picking up dirty clothes until someone runs in with a boo-boo that needs immediate attention.
five minutes of cleaning pots and pans until a child with a hungry belly comes looking for a snack.
five minutes praying that God will give me sanity until a child escapes from their bed and comes looking for someone to comfort their nightmares.
five minutes of marital lovin', until (ahem) someone knocks on the bedroom door.
five minutes of eating lunch until spaghetti goes flying all over the dinner room floor.
five minutes of folding clothes until someone has an accident on the clean pile of laundry...

you see i have lived a lot of life in five minute increments. and as of late, my kids have just grown up into little people that can sustain being without me for much longer periods of time. like 20-30 minutes. remember, like i said here, i am 3/4 done parenting. :) which means i have all of this unexpected time on my hands to actually complete projects. if a camera was following me around this morning you would have laughed as i just paced from one room to the next completing half projects.

i wouldn't trade in my "five minute" years for anything.
tough? undoubtedly!
unrewarding some days? totally.
brain numbing moments? LOTS OF THEM!
worth the sacrifice so that i could be the interrupted party? ABSOLUTELY!!!!

here is to the interrupted moments in our lives that we can never get back!
~s

No comments:

Post a Comment