Thursday, February 28, 2013

Because It's Important Part 3

We are ten hours away from breaking our fast together. You will hear a house full of women singing the hallelujah chorus around 7:30 pm (CST).


I woke up this morning thinking about a few things regarding this fast and the feast to come. Matthew 6:11 echoed in my heart,"Give us this day our daily bread!" This verse became more real to me this week. As Americans we typically stock up for a week or two, even then we have enough in our cabinets and pantries to continue to feed us for another week or two. This prayer begs that the needs of the day will be met. I can't imagine how many people across this world are longing that their food needs would be met just for today. That their bellies would be satisfied once. It is very hard to function when your body is craving something so bad and the dissatisfaction lingers on. It messes with your thinking. I slept A LOT this week. Hoping that sleep would make the time pass faster. Many times I would wake up in the middle of the night hearing my stomach growl. That hasn't happened since I was pregnant. This time however, I had to refrain from raiding the refrigerator and just lay there. In the middle of the night and early in the morning when our house was completely silent (very rare indeed) I would just be still and let the Holy Spirit intervene and make known to me what He desires for me. Oh sweet communion!

Matthew 4 records Jesus at the last supper with his closest friends on earth. When he breaks the bread and takes the cup, He tells them he will not eat it or drink it again until the fulfillment of the kingdom comes. Meaning, that He would not observe the Passover (i.e. the Lord's Supper) until He comes for us.

What a fast He is observing. For thousands of years the divine trinity awaits the feast that will be observed when He comes for us. When He comes to rescue and redeem us. An anticipation that must fill His soul to bursting. 

I have abstained from foods and drink, and I cannot tell you how giddy I am about feasting with my friends tonight. Not just in an uncontrollable "satisfy the flesh" kind of way, but in a meaningful, celebratory culmination of what the week has revealed.


He has abstained from US, His beloved! He has fought every inclination to come at every beckoning.  How the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit must be watching their ESPN game clock tick down until the day arrives for them to come with a mighty roar of victory!! To satisfy every longing, to wipe away every tear, to make all things new and glorious! To right every wrong and bind up the brokenhearted. To repair and restore relationships destroyed by death and sin. To fill the bellies of those who have starved their whole lives, to fill the hearts of those who have been starved spiritually their whole lives. "HOLY! HOLY! HOLY!" we will fall on our faces and cry. Oh, what a foretaste of glory divine!! What a celebratory culmination for the ages and to last for all eternity!!


Oh, Lord Jesus, come quickly!!

~Sara

From your listening pleasure, a song I have clung to this week!

Lord, I Need You


No comments:

Post a Comment