Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Camp: Re-post

Original date June 14th, 2010


Nearly 20 years ago I went to Camp NEKAMO.  My mom signed up to be a counselor for another age group knowing I would not go unless I knew she would be there. Camp changed that nine year old girl for forever.

A few short years later, it was time for me to spread my wings and fly to French Camp, Mississippi. Assistant Counselor was my title. And the only reason I was going so far from home for so long was because Zach was with me.  Camp changed that brother and sister forever.

One year later, at the mature age of 17, I returned to Camp of the Rising Son, met a boy named Mark, and camp changed that boy and that girl  forever.

Hand in hand, Mark and I started our own marriage together at Twin Lakes Camp and Conference Center. For three years, Mark served as Guest Services Assistant Director and I was Program Director. Our first baby was born to us while we were there. Camp changed that married couple’s life forever.

The people we love deeply from our years of camp ministry are irreplaceable.  Your connection never dies no matter the distance or time.  You’re bonded together with something impenetrable. And camp people are undeniable the most fun people walking the face of this planet, just ask us. Camp changes people forever.

Today, June 14th, our eldest walked away from me with her back pack jammed packed, camp flowing in her very own blood, courageous, bold, and camp changed that Mama’s heart for forever.

~s







1 comment:

  1. Sarah have I told you how much I enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete