Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Living in the Storm: How is your mom?

it's only natural that everyone is wondering how my mom is since i just returned from a trip home.  thank you for asking and caring.

if ever there were a piece of furniture that flooded my brain with memories of my mom i would say it is her dresser. it's a beautiful piece and very unique.. just like mom.

i remember sitting on my mom's bed watching her get ready. un-doing her curlers, putting on her liquid base, and spraying her perfume on. for the longest time mom would store little notes in the top right drawer. little notes that she could send to others with encouraging messages of hope and truth. her socks were always in the left hand top drawer. while i was home i was putting away some of mom's laundry and sat for a while and looked at her dresser. it was sweet time of remembering for me. something particular stuck out to me on my mom's dresser...

there sitting on the quaint little shelf sat this message. it is quite obvious that my mom is remembering less and less everyday, but there is a determination in her spirit that will not let His promises go. she can still quote some of her favorite passages and sing her favorite songs. each threaded with powerful truths from God's perfect and Holy word. i know there is fear and insecurity about what the future holds for my mom. she feels it, and we as her family feel it. however, everyday as she struggles to get dressed, as she helplessly allows my dad to do her hair, how the perfume bottle sits empty because the smell is too overwhelming, the little note drawer is empty b/c she can no longer write, her socks are scattered to and fro, and drawers are a cloudy mess of confusion,.....  she SEES these words! she BELIEVES these words! she LIVES as is these words have and continue to make a difference in her life. in the middle of this raging storm.. she KNOWS that the promises her Savior and Redeemer have made her are a SURE as the sun rising in the east. her steps on this earth are shaky and unsteady.  and while she is not, nor will never "improve".... she is LIVING, and we will give her life and purpose until she lands softly.

~s

6 comments:

  1. Oh Sara, what beautiful tribute to your sweet mom and to the Lord and His faithfulness even in the midst of trials and sorrows. Your mom is a great testimony to His love and power everyday.

    Bemby

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful. Thank you for sharing.
    -Heather, for all of us Gillhams.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara love ...whatever can we say. We love you, we love her and we are so blessed to have you all in our lives. She is always in our thoughts and prayers. I am sure you hear this often, but whatever we can do ...please let us know. With love and blessings.

    LA & B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sara I am so glad you got to come visit. I wish I could have come by and said hello. Your mom, your parents, have been and always will be special to me and to so many others. God has blessed lives beyond measure thru your dear parents. What a joy to know that inspite of any struggles here once in Heaven we will have eternity to rejoice with each other in full health. What a party that will be. Love you Sara. Love all the Halls.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE your family photo guys! and your precious tribute to Joshua...and for your mother. Sara, you most likely don't know this but we lost my mother the same way, many years back when she was only 58, and I truly know and feel your heart in these words. You made me cry, remembering, but also for what all of you are suffering through in the long and sad goodbye. BUT Praise God for His promises and the hope that is within us!! I don't communicate much but want you and Mark to know I love both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hallelujah! He is faithful! So beyond beautiful, my sweet sister! Love you SO!

    ReplyDelete