Thursday, August 8, 2013

Just Give Me the Dirt

One of my all time favorite sayings that my Mom and Dad tossed around with us kids was, "Just give us the dirt!" I can still hear the inflection in my Mama's voice when she would say it me. I loved the way she would scrunch her face and tilt her head. I can imagine her sitting across the table from me tonight saying, " Just give me the dirt about the first day of school!"

For those of you just joining us for the first time, today I retired from my role as full time homeschool'in teacher. I have been homeschooling for the last five years, and for those whom have been homeschooling for the last 18, I know you just rolled your eyes at me :0!

I love the night before the first day of school, and for those of you not of facebook, I will re-paste our poem here for your reading pleasure...

'Twas the night before school when all thru our wide house, our children fell silent, silent as a mouse. 

The backpacks were stuffed with germ x galore, while Mom and Dad giggled,"They'll take 3 of our kin, how 'bout four?!" 

The children were sprawled out in their newly unpacked beds, while boxes of Chargers threatened to fall on their heads.

While Mark in his boxers, and I in my glasses, had just settled down with French Camp masses.

When out on the lawn there rose such a clatter, we shouted with fright,"Lar! Jer! What's the matter?!"

Now Katie! Now Jul-ia! Now Lucy and AJ! On Daddy! On Mama! On random dog with no nay-m!

"To school! They hollered, with Grandparent's glee!! But we protested,"It's two am, school doesn't start til seven-thirty!"

So back to our beds, with excitement in our eyes, school year twenty thirteen-fourteen had much in the way of surprise!



We woke up at six o'clock in the AM, and the last time I remember waking up at six o'clock in the AM, was when I had an infant, like 4 years ago. But this is my new life; early rising, lunch packing, paper signing, Mom-ville.
The girls did awesome! Mom only privately teared up twice. I did not ask Mark how many times he teared up. Kissing my baby girl, Lucy, on her (skwooshy, barely retaining sweet baby-fat,) cheek, in a silent first grade class, almost did me in.
So what do parents do, when the last time they have only be in charge of one child was ten years ago? We would do something phenomenal and celebratory, right?  WellP, we loaded, un-loaded, and spread out hay on our land. I know, I know, it's too much to handle, but like my dad said, " I am a country girl now!" Now, not only do we own a double wide, but we have landscaped with hay. Reserve your applause for the Rodeo, please :)!






But Mark, Anderson, and I emerged from the elementary school unscathed for the most part.


Every time I thought I was going to fall into a million pieces, I could feel my Mama just pulling me along, "Come on Sara, you can do this. This is good, this is right! Toughen up!" 

The end of the school day couldn't come soon enough. There we were waiting outside the school, and there they came, three beaming girls. 

After hours of sifting thru all the stories, here are the results!

Drum roll please!





Katie loves school because her teachers enforce the rules! (All you first born's can stand up and applaud now!) No really, she loved all her new friends, and really enjoyed her teachers!



 Julia's class motto almost made me bawl like a baby :)


Julia spent her evening writing thank you notes to her classmates for the kindness they showed her today. Be still my beating heart :) ( Second born's can wipe the tears from their passionate eyes!)





I'm sorry, who doesn't want their first grader being taught this EVERY DAY?!
Makes a Mama be at peace!


 And Lucy had a great first day because, and I quote, " I didn't go to the principal's office!" SCORE! (All third born's fist pump in the air!)


I received many concerned inquiries regarding the state of our youngest baby boy. At about ten he asked if we could go pick up the girls from school. :( When asked how much he missed his sisters today he said, "259!" And I think in the brain of a four year old little boy, that's A LOT! Then he was SHOCKED tonight to find out that they in fact have to go back tomorrow, and it wasn't just a one day deal. SWEET BABY! (Youngest children can all send 'happys' in the mail, ASAP :)


I am sorry ladies, these boys are taken :)!!

Our hearts are so full from the kindness this community has shown! Our children were surrounded with generous kids and teachers who opened their lives for our kids today. We are so blessed and SO thrilled to think about what lies ahead.




~Sara

1 comment:

  1. AH! I'm tearing up reading this! They are such precious, wonderful girls, and I am so proud of them! New town, new school, new home, new adventure! We'll just have to come play with AJ to help the time go by faster!

    ReplyDelete