Tuesday, August 20, 2013

An Eight Legged Miracle

Anderson and I are slowly adjusting to our days together, it feels like I have an only child again, he thinks that it is now my full time job to entertain, and well that's just not going to happen :) Yesterday, he was thrilled to be able to pick whatever movie he wanted to watch without "the sisters" (as he refers to them now) getting in the way. He picked Charlotte's Web.  Towards the end of the movie Charlotte is dying and she and Wilbur have this wonderfully sweet conversation. It isn't exactly word for word from the book, but the screen writers rewrote it beautifully.

Charlotte: After all, what's a life, anyway? We're born, we live a little while, we die. A spider's life can't help being something of a mess.

Wilbur: Charlotte you can't die, I'll carry you back to the barn and take care of you. You've done so much for me! I've never done anything for you.

Charlotte: You made me your friend, and in doing so you made a spider beautiful to everyone in that barn. The web was no miracle, I was just describing what I saw. The miracle is you.

My heart titled at the line, "you made a spider beautiful to everyone in that barn!" I immediately thought about the verse in Ephesians 5, "Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless."

Christ made us beautiful to His Father. Not because of anything we did, not because of anything we didn't do, not because of anything we are going to do. It is quite evident humans can't help being something of a mess. Often we try and spin miracles in our own webs, we call our lives, by trying harder, being better, being the best you, breaking habits, starting new habits, following a new 12 step program to godliness, to cleanliness, to organizational"ness", to loveliness, to religiousness, to manliness, home-maker-ness, wifeliness, etc...etc.. But there is no miracle in our works, our works that are as dirty as menstrual rags. The only real miracle is what the Father is enamored with as he describes our lives in HIS web. He is neither focused on our weakness or our greatness, rather the apple of His eye is entranced by old rugged cross where His son sacrificially, obediently, and with great joy endured the weight of our messiness, so that our webs would be beautiful to everyone in the heavenly barns.

There are moments in my writing that I wrestle with God, "you really want me to write about a line from a child's movie? Really, there is meaty content there?" And today God graciously placed in my mundane walking path a miracle. We have walked out our back door hundreds of times since we have lived here, and this morning was the first time I had ever seen what I saw. It took my breath away, and I knew then and there, today I was suppose to write about spider webs.









There were at least twenty that we could count. A field of spider webs waiting to say "Good morning! Your God, our God, is in this day, is in your writing, and is a God of miracles!"

Now go, wait, and watch for the miracles being spun in your life!
~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment