Thursday, January 17, 2013

*Mother of the Year*

Yesterday was a particularly intense afternoon around the Littlejohn house. Most days before my feet ever hit the floor I am already giving out instructions, dolling out information regarding "the plan" for the day, and answering some questions being asked of me, "Mom, can you open this? Mom, can you pour me some juice? Mom, what are we doing today? What's for breakfast? What's for lunch? What's for dinner? What time is it? Can you read this for me? Has Daddy left for work yet? Can I have some candy for breakfast? "Mom!!!! can you come wipe me?!!!!" Yelled from the bathroom. All before I even have my first sip of coffee ;)

However, yesterday afternoon during "rest time" the unending questions and the particular tone in which things were being done sent me over the edge. I was trying to talk to Jesus, for the love! So in a very non-angelic, non-Jesus like way, I slowly spoke, *ahem* yelled, the following words to my unsuspecting children, "It....will.....be.... the miracle of miracles if someday when I give instructions no one pouts, whines, cries, back talks, barters, throws a fit, or generally just does what is asked of them! Miracle....of....miracles.....my dear children!"

Then I threw a little fit myself and stomped back to my room and slammed the door!

After several minutes spent regrouping in my bedroom I reemerged to apologize to my children for my loss of patience and lack of self control.

I couldn't help but think a sweet little Mama face was watching from above, holding a warm cup of coffee between her palms, sitting in the presence of the Almighty, smiling and giggling a bit.

So this is for all of you moms out there today; tired, worn, weary, frustrated, overwhelmed, contemplating throwing the towel in, or at least or over the heads of your children, and being done with this whole "motherhood" thing. We get this once in a life time opportunity to make our children real by loving their hair off ( velveteen rabbit quote, thanks for the reminder Andrew ;) Sometimes, a lot of times, we want to pull our hair out along the way, but the road less traveled is NOT the easy road.

Hang in there moms!!

~Sara
*small clause* 
Our family sarcastically tosses the phrase around, "mother of the year" when we do something unusually  un-mother like. So in no way am I calling myself  *mother of the year* ;) Just to clarify.

Anderson
Lucy
Julia
Katie

No comments:

Post a Comment