Thursday, June 7, 2012

ask, sneak, and knock...

i have always believed the best way for kids to memorize anything is through song. i want so badly for my kids to hide the word of their God in their hearts. His word is life and i want them to be full of unending life. sometimes i panic and think, "my kids have not memorized enough scripture" (while, i know there is ALWAYS more room to memorize scripture in ALL of our lives) i forget that SO much of the scripture they know is through song.

my little tag along these days, (anderson) loves to just talk to me, talk to himself, and SING. the boy has loved music since the womb. i remember he would dance like crazy on sunday mornings, (even to the funeral dirges from the trinity hymnal *wink-wink*) and he was my only child that was soothed by music. any who, the other day while helping me get ready for the day he was singing one of the verses he had memorized. at first, i didn't hear the discrepancy. i listened a little closer and busted out in laughter as he was singing, "ask, SNEAK, and knock..knock, knock, knock" the correct verse was matthew 7:7 “Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you." the song said, "ask, seek, and knock....knock, knock, knock...."

the longer i thought about it the clearer it became that sometimes i approach my very own prayer life like anderson's little hiccup. i ask, plead, and beg God to intervene into different circumstances in my life. maybe it's as "big" as dealing with the grief over my mom, or as "small" as helping us be faithful with our finances.  (i put big and small in parenthesizes because God does not categorize our prayers... we often do. ALL of our concerns and requests are vitally important to Him.)

after i ASK i SNEAK. i try and manipulate the situation to get the outcome i want. i try and convince myself that i am self-sufficient and can carry the burdens of this world alone. i try and give God a little help, or lend Him a helping hand. it makes me chuckle thinking about aiding the God of the universe. how foolish i am to think that He in any way needs me? needs any of us.   these attempts often times are not blatant or overly apparent. they are sneaky in nature. often times i don't even realize my ways until the Holy Spirit reveals it to me.

when i was battling to overcome fears grip on my life i just begged God to take away my paralyzing fear. at one point i clearly remember the Lord speaking to my heart and saying, "if i just take away your fear like a genie in a bottle i have done you a disservice. can i take away your fears? YES!  but you will have learned nothing until you learn to combat and conquer these fears through the strength and determination i offer you." after that i remember my prayer life changed and instead of asking God to remove my fear i asked Him to teach me how to conquer my fear and to help my unbelief! God will not be belittled to a "genie in a bottle." often times we are falsely taught how to "rub Him the right way" in order to get what we want. how jipped and empty our lives are until we begin to comprehend WHO He is and the amazing riches He has for us when we seek Him and ONLY Him. then we can look at Him as far more meaningful and important then a genie, but as Savior, Lord, Master, Beloved, Redeemer, Abba, Emmanuel, Tabernacle... my ALL in ALL!

here is to seeking Him, not sneaking around Him,
~s

No comments:

Post a Comment