Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What Our Kids Learn The Last Month of School

I asked Mark to stop and get me some coffee on his way home from work yesterday, because my stash was running low. Me - coffee ='s a national security crisis. Coffee is one of my love languages. I'm not afraid to admit I'd give up food before I'd give up coffee. This is what he delivered.



There is a reason he didn't pick up JUST one or two, but THREE packages of coffee. We are in the final stretch of school. The ninth hour, the ninth month, the ninth inning. However you want to label it, we are nearing the end. Four weeks, and the 6:15 AM alarm goes from green to gray, and the whole house shouts HALLELUJAH! If Lucy's eyes were a downloading ticker, it would indicate she is 99% complete. When Lucy gets tired, she gets crazy delusional. Last week, she walked in the door from school, laid down on the ground with her back pack STILL on, and stared at the ceiling for an hour. God love her. I believe she is ready for the third grade train :)

We've been going to bed earlier and earlier, and waking up later and later, because our bodies are all, "I love this bed! I love this bed! I love this bed! I can't get up! I can't get up! I can't get up! One more snooze! One more snooze! One more snooze!"

Based on rough estimations, I have made and packed 360 lunches and 480 water bottles. At the conclusion of this school year, I hope to pass Kindergarten for the 5th time, 2nd grade for the 4th time, 3rd grade for 3rd time and 6th grade for the 2nd time. I have relearned so much this year; I am a complete wizard with my multiplication math facts. 'Go Dog Go' is STILL a really long book for a new reader. I have totally enjoyed reading Harry Potter through the eyes of my daughter. I increased my historical knowledge of Chinese Emperors. And seriously, I can do a mean Brachiosaurus impression (yes, I had to Google the correct spelling!) I've learned A LOT, and so have my cherubs. But like Lucy, my brain is full, my body is tired and we're all ready for a small fast from school.

But all the the teachers, who feel the exact same way, respond in unison, " DON'T QUIT YET, THERE ARE STILL FOUR WEEKS LEFT!"

Yes.there.are.

While our brains have broken the standard rule, "all things in moderation", and we are teetering on obesity of knowledge; we press on. In between dodging the "can you check us out early?" requests, and "do we have to go?" pleas, I've decided these final weeks of school are SO MAJOR in the lives of our kids.

Major, not because the bulk of their educational foundation is being laid in these final days, or the climax of passing their current grade is at hand, but because their character will be solidified in pushing through the uncomfortable.

Littlejohns don't quit!

So much of life is bearing down and holding on in the uncomfortable. Leaning hard and heavy until the work is done. Be it physical work, spiritual work, martial work, parental work, or just work-work. We don't have the luxury or the permission to walk away when life gets complicated and messy. In real life, you don't get a summer vacation.

My kids are incredibly blessed to watch their dad live out a life of faithful, hard work. Every morning, rain or shine, spring or summer, cold or hot, tired or awake, encouraged or discouraged, excited or bored, bank holiday or not; Mark shows his love to our family by consistently showing up to work. This writes perseverance on the story of our children's hearts.

"Finish well" I've whispered to sleepy, after school eyes.

Or some days, when you turn an olive oil bottle into a weed vase, it's just "Finish, my love! Finish."

Y'all we can do this!
Cheers! *and all the olive oil bottles clank*

~Sara






No comments:

Post a Comment