Monday, November 3, 2014

Don't Be Thankful Project: Part 1

Day 1-4

Who knew the absolute freedom one could possess with no dings and pings?! The first two days, out of habit, I caught myself looking down at my phone for new notifications, however, the blank screen was oddly relieving and comforting. My girls and I had a total chick-day-only on Saturday, and it was SO NICE to feel completely engaged with them ALL DAY LONG! (I did however check the football scores during the movie.) And this house? Well, it's never been more put together, well...... it's not now because we just got through with the manic Monday sprint, but yesterday it was like sparkling. I actually had time to download all 918 of my pictures to iCloud and make the definite decisions, next time I'm getting a Samsung! At one point yesterday, while Mark was napping off MAN TRIP 2K14 and the kids were chilling, I had this moment of complete boredom. I sat in my chair and stared out the window. I began to recover the ability to think in sentences as opposed to thinking in sound bites. I thought through some topics I needed to further discuss with Mark when he woke up, I thought through some decisions I needed to make this week, I updated our schedule for the entire months of November and December, and I met with my friend Barbara Duguid in the final chapters of her book.  OH!!! And I misplaced my phone numerous times over the weekend and it felt SO GOOD! 

Even the marriage bed has proven to benefit from a less distracted Sara. I'm just saying.

Not going to lie, at some point I caught myself wondering what everyone on social media was doing and thinking. I wondered if I had missed an engagement announcement, a "we're headed to the hospital" announcement, a relationships status change, a cute Halloween costume, a lively theological debate with a naive seminary student or an over-eager graduate, with zero people experience but a lot of head knowledge, that ends in pointless ramblings. I wondered what Armando's WOD was and if he put up a video for all to see (you know I only have love for you Mando!)  I wondered if Zach had posted a new dragon picture, I wondered if Jen had finally finished her book, I wondered what David Burge was tweeting about, I wanted to know how everyone was feeling about the MSU game, I wanted to know if Scott was going to survive the Ole' Miss game and if Tonya was selling some serious jewelry at her sell.  I wanted to make sure Liisa made it home safely from Florida with my little Spider Man in tow, and if my family was enjoying Lego Land. I was curious if Chris made it out of King George alive, who's baby rolled over, how much sleep everyone did/did not get, if everyone in KC was going to come through their World Series hangover, and OF COURSE..... I was totally anxious to see everyone's gym and food pictures :)

Ok, so maybe I'm over exaggerating a little, but really I LOVE my people!!! I enjoy knowing fun things about them. It makes all the miles shrink, and for someone who loves so many people across the globe; I LOVE the ability to connect with people on social media. It's why I'll never give it up. But I do feel even after 4 days I've struck a way better balance! In a very strange way it felt good to be unreachable. It felt good to say to my family through my actions, "I'm fully here! I'm fully yours!" But it also felt good Saturday night, after I put all the girls to bed, to come and find ya'll. It was nice to read through your posts and see your crazy, unreasonable, pot-stirring quotes and links, and realize that the world does continue to spin out of control without me having to be notified every time something goes down. It made my world feel small and manageable again.... and I like it here. So I remain.

Ok, I KNOW some of you are joining me on this project. Let me hear from you. How's it going? How's the detox? Are you twitching and sweating yet?! Or are you reclaiming moments that have been missing in your everyday life?!

Can't wait to hear from you! 
(when it's convenient for me to hear from you, not the other way around :)
~Sara

    

No comments:

Post a Comment