Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Maybe Mississippi is a Mistake (A year later)

In preparation of moving back to the south, I wrote THIS blog feeling insecure and inadequate in my not so southern ways. Today, I got such a giggle rereading it.

One year ago today, our Penske truck rolled all up into this quaint Camp of the French.

What a year!

When we set our sights on French Camp, we had ONE thing in mind; our children. For the first time in our entire parenting process we were able to make a moving decision solely based on what was best for the future of our kids. Up until last year, our history of relocating surrounded our desire to be in full time camp and conference ministry, Mark's schooling, Mark's commitment to the DOD, and our absolute determination to be in Kansas with my Mama for as long as she took a breath. Moving to a place where our kids could grow up more like we did was alluring. The opportunities our children have here we could have never offered them in a big city. The space and time our children are gifted here is seemingly magical. The absolute access to the beauty of God's creation (even if the pine trees make me claustrophobic from time to time) is endless.

As I mentally recap the pros and cons of our first year in French Camp, my heart continually returns to the precious moments my children have been given. The growth I saw in each of them astounds me as they were given the mental, emotional, and physical space to blossom. I'm so proud of them! And the balance we were seeking in given them more time away from the single voice of their mother, proved to be the perfect ingredient in solidifying our relationship with one another. Bottom line, I'm a better mom because of the space. Period.

In addition to watching my kids blossom, I have seen their sweet daddy settle into a rhythm of freedom. From back yard BON FIRES, to long four wheeler rides, to projects galore on a home he can call his own, I've seen him dream more in this last year than in a very long time. My heart swells with an unparalleled pride because I get to call him mine.

No move to any place on this planet comes without ugly tears and moments of regret. And trust me, we have had plenty of those moments.  Our year has included a unique and complicated struggle to remain authentic to who we were before landing here, and attempting to not get voted off the island.

I am so grateful for "our tribe" who have listened as we wrestled with ALL the transitions we have come across. I am so grateful for the text messages, the emails, the private conversations, when people have extended us grace to just be us. No strings attached. Those moments are tucked away in my "don't sell your double wide" folder and will be held on to forever!

It has been one of my greatest and hardest privileges to connect myself to this quaint Camp of the French. I am excited to deepen our roots here and marinate.

Happy One Year Anniversary!
~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment