Tuesday, September 3, 2013

A Different Type of Hangover

Here at Ljlife&literature, we have celebrated commiserated the first work day after each holiday by declaring it "holiday hangover day". It does not refer to the type of hangover some might deduce it to meaning, rather the long day that seems to emerge after a holiday, (particularly, this was an ongoing joke with my home school friends and SAHMs). We texted each other, we emailed each other, we blogged about the the way our children, our schooling, and our homes seemed to spiral out.of.control. on this day. (*clause* I am not intentionally leaving out people who work outside of their homes. I have not worked outside my home in ten years, so I do not know your 'holiday hangover' experiences, but I KNOW that they DO exist! I only try to speak out of my own personal experiences and not presume on yours!)

Any to the who~ after ten years of 'holiday hangovers' today I was almost jolted by the different hang over that clouded my little heart. I sent my wee babes to school early (early for me who likes to start the day around 9 :). AJ and I ate breakfast, lollygagged to bible study, read some of our favorite literature, cooked lunch, took a nap, rode bikes, picked up sisters from school and began the new mad sprint between 3-8. It is now approximately 8:02 and my husband and 3 smallest children are passed out (they too felt the side effects of holiday hangover day, or a work out with Scott Barlow :)..

Today, I ached for my kids (for my girls; obviously Anderson doesn't leave my side :). Like this very familiar ache of grieving something that is dead. Something between us has died. My days with them, in the confines of the sweet paced home school life has almost vanished. While, my role as their teacher will never die, this moment seems to have passed far too quickly. Like, we arrived here in MS and a few short days later I sent them off to school, neither having the time or space to process this new death in our lives.

I loved homeschooling. Not every second of every day. Not everyday for 5 years... Oh, this home school professor locked herself in her bathroom and sobbed her eyes out because sometimes I was D.O.N.E. Home schooling can be intense, especially when you start throwing in a lot of different grade levels.  I love my kids, with every ounce of energy this 30 something body can process, but I also knew in my core, WE knew in OUR core, it was time for them to go to school.

And so today was day 18 of school, and my first holiday hang over day without them. I spent most of it in tears and prayers for all the people with my girls, because deep down I knew how those teachers were feeling. I've tried to motivate my kids after a holiday weekend and it's draining. Multiple that by a classroom full of kids, and I was on my knees. At midnight, I had this totally southern inclination to bake some 'happys' for the teachers, tie some ribbon around a tote, and send a little note saying, 'Happy Hangover Day!' Then, I envisioned a phone call from DHS with some raised eye brows and a few harsh  (Julia's vocab word for the week) questions. Oh, the 'Christian Concern' I would spark :) Instead, I prayed for those really amazing teachers. And I hugged those precious girls so tightly when they emerged from the school building. The 3-8 o'clock sprint felt like heaven. I listened to every story, I signed papers like a boss ( Jen Hatmaker steal), I was attentive, alert, overly energized, and knocked homework out of this dry county.

Eighteen days later, and we are unbelievably grateful for the people who are pouring into our kids lives. Has it been a road of pink colored roses? No. (Is it ever, btw?) Have we already seen some incredible growth in our girls? UM YES!! Has this retired professor seen some really meaty things come from it in her own life? Yes, praise Jesus, YES!! Has homeschool died forever in the LJ house, we never say never here. But for this season, we are CHARGING (yes, it is a play on words) ahead.

So for all you teachers out there, if you every receive a little 'happy' from me with "Happy Holiday Hang Over" written in perfect calligraphy, please don't report me, just eat the baked good and know you are deeply appreciated!

Cheers, to a new 'holiday hangover'!

~Sara






No comments:

Post a Comment