Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Who Insulated My Thighs?

Why do nicely folded clothes get dumped on the floor,
And why is there always someone begging for more?

Why are there cheerio's in my bed,
And constant recordings of small voices in my head?

Why is silence a stranger to my days,
And child-friendly, sacrifice permeated all my ways?

Why do I sing, "All aboard the choo-choo train",
And use my lips to kiss away pain?

Why do I wear a pony tail,
And am labeled a fashion-ista fail?

Why is the bathroom the place I hide,
And pray my hormones survive the ride?

Why is there children's underwear in my purse,
And why can't my mouth blurt out that curse?

Why do black circles highlight my eyes,
And who added the layer of insulation to my thighs?

Why is my brain malfunctioning and fried,
And are you sure it was the bathroom you tried?

Why do I drive a minivan you ask,
And please tell me that's not a lipstick mask.

Why would I stay in this line work,
And wrestle and wrestle with their every quirk?

Why should I pause the other white noise,
And memorize their every poise?

Why would I agree to such a calling,
When each day includes multiple fallings?

Why I know that someday soon,
And all alone I'll be at noon.

Extinguished, the pitter patter of their feet,
And holding my breath until we next meet.

It is only for a season I get to hold their hand,
And pushed from my nest they'll learn to land.

It is why I choose to not escape these endless days,
And learn to treasure all their ways.

This moment is fleeting fast,
And I am determined to not let is pass.

Exhausted, insulated, weary and fried,
These kids are my everything, my joy and my pride!














No comments:

Post a Comment