Wednesday, December 12, 2012

I'll Walk With You

"I'll walk with you in the shadow lands til the shadows disappear." Andrew Peterson

He was there. He's always been there. From the beginning of this journey he has been there. Not a lukewarm, passive, uninvolved, there. Not an, "I'll observe from the sidelines" there, he played the game. All four quarters. He sustained major injuries, just like the rest of us. His game plan changed multiple times, he took some hard hits.... for her. He analyzed and reviewed film with the best of them. He lead and participated in endless team meetings. He helped execute many complicated plays on the field. He has been cheerleader when necessary, mascot for laughter, and chaplain in the middle of the night. It was never, "I am so sorry this is happening to YOUR mom and YOUR family" it was always, "I am sorry this is happening to OUR mom, OUR family!"

He was there. He stood at her bedside and checked her pulse. He watched her chest and rise and fall. He brushed her hair, he kissed her forehead, and he counted in his head the seconds between her gasps, and finally he whispered in my ear, "she's gone!"

He was there. When I fell into his arms and shook violently with grief.

He has walked with me in the shadow lands. And the promise that he'll remain until they disappear is what marriage, this marriage, our marriage is all about.

When walking, whether through shadow lands or green pastures, choose your company wisely.

~Sara












2 comments:

  1. oh wow. incredible. thank you for this! love you both dearly!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara and Mark, I love you guys so much. Thanks for being you!

    ReplyDelete