Thursday, June 26, 2014

This is Your Brain, This is Your Brain on Drugs

*egg cracked and scrambled in the pan*

Y'all remember that commercial? I feel like it was branded into my memory from a very young age of my PBS watching. A man's voice narrating the entire commercial with dark, dramatic lighting.

*dun-dun-duuunnnnn*

Have you ever noticed all the different ways people make scrambled eggs?
Chunky and moist.
Chunky and dry.
Broken down and moist.
Broken down and dry.
Onions and mushrooms added.
Cheese.
Garlic.
Salt, not enough salt.
Pepper, never pepper.
Overcooked, under cooked.

The options literally are endless.

Time continues to grow me.
Time continues to soften me.
Time continues to nudge me more towards a stance that says, "forget all the DIFFERENT ways to scramble, just scramble!"

How often as we journey, do we come upon leftover carnage from the battles people have waged all in the name of THEIR type of scrambled?

Homeschool vs brick and mortar?
Private vs public?
Stay at home vs working?
Presbies vs Southern B's?
Democratic vs Republican?
North vs South?
Grace vs law?
Rent vs own?
Global warming vs fuzzy science?
Cochran vs McDaniel?
Wine cellars vs teetotaler
Walmart vs Target?
Organic vs whatever is at the local store or drive through?
Natural vs give me all the drugs?
Parent lead vs child lead?
Breastfed vs bottle fed?
Grass fed vs grain supplemented?
Dish vs Direct?
FCA vs Choctaw County?
Contemporary Worship vs Traditional Worship?
Home church vs mega church?
Keller vs Piper?
Hatmaker vs Shirer?
ESV vs NASB?
Extra curricular activities for the kids vs let a kid be a kid?
Gaming for kids vs absolutely never let my kids near a device?
Frozen vs Tangled?

And one that is very near and dear my heart these days...
Manufactured homes vs traditionally built? :)

You might laugh, but I have seen it all. People lay it all on the line over something so "first world". Arguments, the majority of this universe cannot even begin to wrap their brains around because today they are focusing on surviving the day and hoping to place a small portion of food on the table this evening for their family! They are rapidly breathing, as they watch the horizon for the next militia to come in fear that this time it might be THEIR daughter who is stolen into the sex trade. They lay awake in bed at night, hoping the next terrorists does not blow himself up in THEIR local market. They sleep in boxes at night, right under our own noses, because they have nothing. What they are called to scramble each day should shame our ridiculous, so called battles!

All last week, I listened to the stories my dad is privileged to be apart of with The Sending Project. A ministry that has decided that it is time to stop working AGAINST each other and *mind blowing I KNOW*, start working TOGETHER; despite race, denomination, socio-economic backgrounds, worship style, language, location and vocation.

My dad has been driving a prayer bus around Kansas City with all different types of churches, denominations, races, cultures, etc.. and they go from church to church praying for each other's ministries and congregations. Not their OWN ministries, but OTHER church's ministries. Talk about negating a competition clause. By the time my dad left on Sunday, I was ready to sell every thing I owned and start over. What are we doing? REALLY?!!

I am so weary of smeared scrambled eggs every where I walk.
It's exhausting.
All the weapons in everyone's hands because of deep insecurity and pain.
It is no wonder that people in North America are leaving the church in droves, while the Eastern Hemisphere is exploding everyday with people whose lives have been changed because of Jesus. We are not desperate enough here in our first world country. We numb our pain with screens, endless food, control, safety, the illusion of peace and niceties. We silence our shame by given our ten percent, washing our hands, and walking away.

I am very unsure what kind of eggs I will be scrambling this next year in my kitchen of life, but you better believe I am trying on a daily basis to strip myself of the weapons I have so long held tightly too and just scramble the heck out of all the gifts I have been entrusted with.

A weary heart often helps distinguish what is good and what is best.
A wounded heart often limps along only able to exude energy in areas that are worthy not wasteful.

Here are to some scrambled eggs that are not just good, but the best!
Here are to some scrambled eggs that are not wasteful but worthy!

Scramble on my friends!
~Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment