Friday, May 16, 2014

Most Ridiculous Thing Ever!

I feel like I am going to throw up.

My writing holds such a intimate place in my core that I hesitate to even move forward and tell you what I came here to tell you.

Almost four years ago, I expressed a desire to Mark to start this blog. I have been writing in diaries and journals my entire life. During math class, I would write letters to my friends and family instead of paying attention to Mr. Wagner and fractions (this should explain a lot). As a little girl, I would write poems, put music to them, and make my entire family suffer through concerts. I'm so sorry guys, I'm receiving full pay back with three divas in my house. I loved creative writing my entire education, and even put in my high school senior biography that one day I wanted to be the author of children's books. Then I had children and wanted to write in complete sentences without rhyming :) Good night moon. Goodnight cow jumping over the moon. Good night light and red balloon.

Before the blog, I would send out a mass emails to family and friends so that they could keep up with the kids. It was so fun! But as time would have it, and because of Mama's disease, the blog facilitated the need to communicate to a larger audience about our journey through the storm.

And so the blog started.

The last four years have confirmed over and over again that I am a lover of words. In my own life and in the lives of others, the blog has confirmed the unequivocal power of words, and the absolute necessity of stories. It has confirmed over and over again, that I NEED words. You guys have been so gracious in your compliments. I am humbled. I was always taught to never beg for compliments, so it's extremely difficult to receive them. Often, I squirm and deflect the compliments with some self destructive humor like, "don't pay attention to all my grammar and spelling mistakes, there are tons of them!" But because of your constant affirmation the lies are dwindling and I am more confident than ever that God intends to use my gift of writing in someway, shape or form. Many of you have encouraged me to pursue publishing a book, or a devotional, or begin speaking at churches about our story. Again, I'm humbled and squirmy. "Me? Really? I don't even have a college degree. My grammar and spelling are atrocious, and I live in a double wide trailer." Regardless, I have often day dreamed about combining and publishing all my entries of 'Living In The Storm' and dedicating them to my Mama. I have considered a 365 day devotional on messy motherhood. I have envisioned telling my story at women's retreats and stinky youth group lock-ins. But in my dreaming, the Lord has so very sweetly tilted my chin toward His face and whispered in my ear, "in MY time! And according to MY will! Right now you need to publish the story of your children's lives by writing love all over their hearts!" Oh the peace that fills me when my desire for affirmation and accolades in the writing world begins to overcome me. The stillness that washes over me in the knowledge and understanding that I AM publishing a story. And oh my stars! It's an amazing story, with an incredibly complicated and dramatic plot line. The characters are stunning, and the ending is full of mystery and suspense. My family is my greatest muse, and they blossom in me the best stories EVER!!

So why are we here, what's all the drama about? Well.... yesterday this totally far fetched idea hit the online world and something in me woke up. Very hesitantly, I mentioned it to Mark in passing and without missing a beat he said, "You should enter! You should DO this!" It is an opportunity to travel to Rwanda July 11th- July 20th, with the story tellers of Noonday Collection and IJM. The goal is to enter into the daily lives and stories of Rwandan people and WRITE about it. Here is Noonday's mission statement, "Creating opportunity for vulnerable people around the globe involves collaboration. Collaboration that seeks to protect the vulnerable from injustice and violence and that provides economic opportunities so that our global sisters can break the cycle of poverty for good."

I feel like our two years at the Oasis began to open my eyes and heart to injustices staring us in the face everyday. The fact that I could use my gift of words to tell the story to advance the mission of these two organizations BLOWS MY MIND!

So, what do I need? I need you to blow up every social media outlet you know of to collect votes for me. *sigh* I know it's incredibly annoying and feel free to hide me now from your FB time lines. The top seven people who receive the largest amounts of votes by May 28th, move on to the next round. At this point there are already over 200 contestants.

This is by far one of the most far fetched, ridiculous things I've ever entered. But why not? Why not try it? Why not blow up social media for two weeks for a good cause? Why not make myself vulnerable to you, and ask you to help me accomplish something I think would be really unique and amazing?

I hardly slept last night tossing and turning. I mean who has time in May to collect community support for a random trip to Rwanda? Not me! But I've seen y'all in action! I know your hearts, and I know you can help me spread the word.. I saw how your blew up FB for DPs4JP, I saw how you Panther fans blew up website after website for your boys. I know lots of you who vote for American Idol winners, Biggest Loser winners,  and The Voice winners. For a few weeks, would you consider adding me to that list and using your vote to send me to Rwanda to tell this story?

All you have to do is go to http://www.noondaycollection.com/styleforjustice#view/23056/2108567. X the pop up (you don't have to sign up) scroll to the bottom on the page and click the blue VOTE button. VOTE YOUR LITTLE HEARTS OUT and tell everyone you know to VOTE! You can vote once a day from ALL of your devices! Like and share this link with everyone you know :)

I had not mentioned this to a single soul yesterday except for Mark, and last night I received this text from my friend in Virginia "If there is a vote for the Noonday trip I will vote for you!" I cried. I mean, really? What an incredible affirmation for me to at least try this! Lindsey,  I'm going to take you up on it girl! :) There's a vote for me!

Let's see if we can get me to Rwanda!
~Sara


No comments:

Post a Comment