Thursday, October 31, 2013

Halloween Hiatus

I love Halloween!

I think trick or treating is by far one of the coolest things we do with our kids. In the passed, I have written about how I love that complete strangers open up their doors and hand out candy to little passer-byers. What an amazing opportunity to engage your entire neighborhood! Those neighbors that seem so stand off-ish all year long, fling their doors open at the sound of the door bell and offer unknown kids a treat.  I've been saying it for years, kids are so good at tearing down barriers in our lives.

We had a great little neighborhood that we lived in last year, and we saw hundreds upon hundreds of trick-or-treaters. Our kids ran the entire neighborhood with their cousins, and I was told multiple times between houses, "this is my favorite holiday EVER!"

Last year, I started planning in my head how I was going to transform our entire driveway into a carnival like atmosphere for this year. Carmel apples, hot chocolate, games, music, bonfire, etc..etc.. We were going to pull out lawn chairs and chill. Then we moved.

I'm not sure what has transpired under our little double wide roof, but no one even cares about Halloween this year.*insert heart break* After ten years of costume drama, no one has even mentioned  the word costume. Not one child has mentioned going trick or treating, and no one has even carved a pumpkin (except Mark).

Halloween fail.

Maybe my kids are getting too big. Maybe candy is no longer drooled after the way it was before. Maybe they, like their mother, miss Halloween in Kansas and are kind of sad we are missing it. Maybe, just maybe, we are taking a Halloween hiatus and we plan on coming back bigger and better than ever next year! Carnival theme, in all of it's glory, recreated in our new driveway in FC! BOOM! Watch out.

In the meantime, in honor of Halloween, I'll eat a brownie for breakfast (compliments of Miss Tekoa)!

Happy Halloween 'ing'! And check back next year for the revival. Revival of Halloween!!!

~Sara

My "once upon a time" trick or treaters :)
2009






No comments:

Post a Comment