Friday, March 22, 2013

B.I.I. Part 5: Possessions

So I abbreviated the title to this series because it was overwhelming me. For those of you who are a little slow on the uptake B.I.I. stands for "Because It's Important." This is a continuation of the things I am learning in my bible study, "The 7 Experiment" by Jen Hatmaker.

Week 3 was possessions week. The fast in and of itself included giving our earthly possessions away, but it was so much deeper than claiming some itemized line on our tax returns, or muting the guilt of our overindulgence. It ultimately allowed us to begin to peel back the layers of entitlement and comfort we find in our things.

Two sections of scripture have not left me alone during these past few weeks. Matthew 6:19-24. Which after learning a little greek and doing some research (thanks to Jen) the message is this in my own "Sara-isms"

"Do not, as in STOP filling your houses with junk. Junk from Walmart, Target, Trader Joe's, the mall, the outlets,  garage sales, Savers, and TJ Max. Whether or not you are trying to impress the next person who walks into your house, or satisfy your own wants, STOP IT! Your stuff can be burned by fire, be destroyed by dusty moths, and possibly a thug on the street will gank it. For real, it ain't coming with you. But spend your time, money, talents, and tithes, investing in something that is so jaw dropping and life changing it makes you want to dance. Because where our time, money, talents, and tithes, are invested, there you will be able to clearly see your heart, your motivations, what you really care about, the REAL YOU! When you are "obscenely generous" (isn't the combination of those two words juicy?) you are filled with a light that is contagious. But if you are stingy and hold tightly to your glorified junk and keep adding more, you will live in darkness that is heavy and binding. You cannot serve God AND serve the insatiable entitlement stigma in your soul. You cannot serve God and play the "keeping up with the Jones'" game. You cannot serve God and wealth. PERIOD" Take that King James ;)! *karate chop inserted*

Often times in christian circles we hear a lot about avoiding certain "sin areas". The biggies are; lying, cheating, stealing, slander, etc. I am not trying to minimize in anyway the seriousness of the above, but it just struck me that the passage in Matthew is as clear as a commandment as any, "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth!" It makes me uncomfortable that for so long I have been totally comfortable with storing up for MYSELF! A little happy from Hallmark here, a little throw pillow from the Max there.... Items purchased to store up stuff for ME!

In Isaiah 58:7.. Talking in regards to the purpose of a fast, "Is this not the fast which I choose... to divide your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into the house; when you see him naked to cover him and to not hide yourself from your own flesh and blood? Then your light will break out like the dawn, and your recovery will speedily spring forth; and your righteousness will go before you; the glory of the Lord will be your rear guard"

And I have come across so many other different passages that command us to clothe the naked, take care of the widows and the orphans,  and to help the poor. And I was stopped dead in my tracks.. When was the last time that I did this? ME! Not someone else that I supported with my money, or some ministry that I prayed for... But when I have literally placed a piece of clothing on someone who is helpless in their nakedness? When I have used my own two hands to sacrificially help a widow? When I have I sat in the company of an orphan? When have I assisted the  poor? When? When? When?

These thoughts will not leave me alone.

It has been weeks since I have slept through the night without waking up mulling over these heart pricking revelations. These very concepts and scriptures are changing me to the core.

A lot came full circle for me on Sunday when our very anglo pastor preached in our very non-anglo church about these very same thoughts. Thankfully, 18 months ago God placed us in a church exactly where He wanted us, so that all these heart changing moments could connect. We are in a church full of poor, widowed, sojourned, immigrants, that are naked in so many ways, and God had to be giggling a little when He said to my heart, "Here they are my beloved, GO!"

I want it to be known of me and my family that we are "obscenely generous!" Obscenely generous with our possessions, our money, our tithes, our time, our talents, our home, and our love. Not so that we can be puffed up and self righteous, but rather it would be a small reflection of the obscenely generous God we serve!

People, things are happening in the Littlejohn house. Hearts are changing. Motivations are being called into check. Possessions are being purged. We aren't sleeping a lot because there is too much to talk about. A lot of dreaming and planning. A lot of thanksgiving being lifted to our sweet Savior who is calling us out of complacency and comfortableness.

Here is to being obscenely generous!!
~Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment